Neem Oil: The Best Mosquito Repellent
Read the following passage carefully :
1. With the arrival of winter, the mosquitoes go in hiding but they still remain a menace that is tolerated by all and sundry, whether rich or poor throughout the year.
2. Using repellents made by various companies foreign or Indian that are flooding the markets in different brands and types assures all a safer sleep, protected from the mosquitoes’ bites.
3. But, in studies that have been carried out by experts, Neem oil would be a better mosquito repellent when compared to the market’s repellents in terms of cost and impact on human health.
4. The studies have revealed that domestic Neem tree, of a botanical name of Azadirachta indica, has amazing repellent property against mosquitoes’ movements.
5. The Neem oil, what is produced from the fruits of the Neem tree, can provide a more than ninety per cent protection from the mosquitoes responsible for malaria, and, is effective on dreadful dengue carrier parasites too.
6. The most attractive feature of Neem oil is that it is cheaper.
7. The study emphasized instruction of the people especially in rural areas to use it for their personal protection.
8. Market-based repellents like coils, mats, vaporisers etc. contain usually prallethrin or allethrin as the main compound with insecticidal properties.
9. But, the repellents of these synthetic chemicals are not proven as non—hazardous product due to toxins. The study of Industrial Toxicological Research Institute, Lucknow, has revealed that some serious health consequences have been reported after the use of synthetic repellents.
10. Abnormal facial sensations, sneezing, sniffing, dizziness, fatigue, skin reaction etc. were the complaints that were recorded.
11. The Malaria Research Centre (MRC), a premier body of government of India, says that 31 worst effects of these repellents is seen in the case of children.
1 2. Neem oil, therefore, has been found to be the best solution to the mosquito nuisance and promising a phytochemical (a plant chemical) in malaria control.
I 3. According to the study, carried out by Dr V.K. Dua and others, application of coconut. oil, with a mixing of just 2 per cent Neem oil in it, on the exposed body of a human-like face, hands and legs makes for safety from the mosquitoes’ bites.
I4• Dr Dua is a scientist in a field station of Malaria Research Centre at Hardwar and data were taken in the study of Hardwar district. Source: Tapan Susheel (The Hindustan Times)
Type — I (Sentence Completion)
1 4. 1 On the basis of your reading of the passage, complete the following statements:
1. Mosquito repellents are being used by people all over the world to…………………….
2. The repellents that are found in the market are unsafe as………………………………..
3. The fascinating feature of neem oil is……………………………….
4. If you apply coconut oil with two per cent mixing of Neem oil on your body parts it…………………………
5. Neem oil is better mosquito repellent because …………………………….
6. Using market-based repellents can cause ………………………………..
Type — II (Word Attack)
14.2 Find words from the passage which mean the same as the following
1. something that causes a problem (Para 1-4)
2. very surprising (Para 4-7)
3. made known/shown (Para 7-10)
4. results (Para 9-12)
1. protect from mosquito bites
2. they can cause serious health consequences.
3. that it is cheaper and more effective
4 gives safety from the mosquito bites.
5. It does not have any side effects
6 facial sensation, dizziness, sneezing, sniffing, fatigue etc.
1. menace 2. amazing 3 revealed 4. consequences
Download the above Passage in PDF (Printable)
More Comprehension Pasages:-
Passage -11 Suicide (350 Words Subjective Solved)
This suicide articles is all about suicide and depression. IT tries to spread suicide awareness by setting suicide definition and gives you suicide facts. Read about this suicide disease and work for suicide prevention because suicide theory is nothing but a disease of depression.
Passage -12 A Dalit Man (400 Words Subjective Solved)
Passage -13 Adoption (400 Words Subjective Solved)
This adoption essay sets up a good adoption definition and tells you adoption meaning. Read theseadoption notes to know about adoption facts and adoption guidelines. There are several adoption stories about a child adoption. Read and understand adoption technology and adoption types.
Passage -14 A Page from My Diary (400 Words Objective Solved)
Passage -15 The Ozone Layer (400 Words Objective Solved)
The ozone layer depletion is on its peak. This passage is all about the ozone layer and the ozone layer restricts.
Passage -16 BPOs (400 Words Objective Solved)
This passage describes what BPO means and what BPO business is. It is all about BPO company and BPO Call Center which gives bpo definition. So learn BPO full form and gain benefits.
Passage -17 Humour (400 Words Objective Solved)
This passage is a perfect humour definition which tells you what is being humorous. Use these lines as humour quotes and be lost in humour.
Passage -18 Oil Spills on Sea (400 Words Objective Solved)
This passage describes oil spills effects and oil spills causes. You may recall it if oil spills on the ocean.
Passage -19 Think of The Environment (400 Words Subjective Solved)
This passage is all about the Environment. It focuses on environmental pollution, environmental studies and environmental science. It can be considered an environment essay. Go through it and increase environmental awareness
Passage -20 Air Pollution (358 Words Subjective/objective Solved)
This passage is all about Air Pollution. It describes air pollution causes and air pollution effects. It is air pollution essay and can be said air pollution article because it describes air pollution causes and air pollution health effects. Find this air pollution definition and read air pollution examples.