The Shennai of Bismillah Khan
By- Deborah Cowley I
Additional Very Short Answer Type Questions
1. What did Aurangzeb do to the playing of pungi in his royal residence?
Ans.Ms. Aurangzeb banned the playing of pungi in his royal residence.
2. Why did Aurangzeb ban the playing of pungi in his royal residence?
Ans. Aurangzeb banned the playing of pungi in his royal residence because he did not like its shrill unpleasant sound.
3. Which family did the barber belong to?
Ans. He belonged to a family of professional musicians.
Q.4. Who invented `Shehnai’?
Ans. A barber in Aurangzeb’s court invented Shehnai.
5. How many holes does a Shehnai have on its body?
Ans. It has seven holes in its body.
6. Where was Bismillah Khan born?
Ans. He was born in Dumraon in Bihar.
7. When was Bismillah Khan born?
Ans. He was born on 21 March 1916.
8. Which highest civilian award in India was conferred on Bismillah Khan?
Ans. The Bharat Ratna.
9. What was the name of Bismillah’s grandfather?
Ans. His name was Rasool Bux Khan.
10. What was the name of Bismillah’s father?
Ans. His name was Paigambar Bux.
11. What was the profession of Bismillah’s paternal ancestors?
Ans. They were great Shehnai players.
12. Who was Ali Bux?
Ans. AN Bux was Bismillah’s maternal uncle.
13. When was All India Radio in Lucknow was opened?
Ans. In 1938.
14. What is Bismillah Khan’s special achievement on 15 August 1947?
Ans. Bismillah Khan became the first Indian to greet the nation with his Shehnai on this day.
15. To which foreign country did Bismillah Khan go on his first trip?
16. Which film was made by Vijay Matt after hearing Fsismillah’s Shehnai?
Ans. `Gunj Uthi Shehnai’.
17. Which auditorium is named after Bismillah Khan in Tehran?
Ans. The name of the auditorium is Tahar Mosiquee Ustaad Bismillah Khan.
18. What name is Bismillah Khan fondly called?
Ans. He is fondly called `Khansaab’.
19. When Bismillah Khan is in Mumbai he missed two things badly. Name those two things.
Ans. They are Benaras and the Ganga.
20. What did one of his students in the U.S.A. want him to do?
Ans. One of his students in the U.S.A. wanted him to head a Shehnai school in the U.S.A.