New Safety Rules for e-Rickshaws
Read the passages given below and answer the questions that follow them:
Importing motors, batteries and other parts from China to assemble e-rickshaws and selling them in India by fly-by-night operators won’t be possible any more with the road transport ministry set to tighten norms governing safety and quality of such vehicles.
The new norms and mandatory tests would take care of safety concerns including roll over, brake, battery quality, speed, installation of rearview minors for drivers and other parameters for all vehicle parts besides passing gradient test since e-rickshaws also need to cross flyovers. All new models will have to undergo about 28 tests and must comply with the norms before these are registered and are allowed to ply.
However, the biggest catch is how the government would regularize the thousands of e-rickshaws that are already plying or standing idle after the Delhi High Court order.
TOI has learnt that there will be one-time registration of these battery-operated vehicles. The I mechanism that is being mooted is the e-rickshaw association would prepare a list of e-rickshaw models and certify them before submitting it to the state government, in case of the capital it would be Delhi government by a cut off date. The transport department would then submit it to test agencies notified under the Central Motor Vehicle Rules such as ICAT and IRAI. After getting the certificate from test agencies the department would register c-rickshaws of that model.
But this provision is set to face severe criticism since pulling power tests on 53 e-rickshaws by TERI showed that the components and processes used in the manufacturing of these vehicles are not standardized. “Therefore, the performances of e-rickshaws belonging to the same model vary,” it had concluded.
SP Singh of IFTRT, a think tank on transport issues, said, “These vehicles have over 150 variants with different size, structure, material, wheels and tyres, a mismatch in payload and gross vehicle weight. Any attempt to retrospective regularization is illegal.”
He added e-rickshaw kits were imported, assembled and sold in Delhi and other cities and were purchased ignoring notices issued since 2012. Since the manufacturers and assemblers have shortchanged the public exchequer and have sold unsafe, non-certified vehicles for greed they should be directed to take back these vehicles and refund the money to buyers. “There cannot be the trade-off between road safety and business gains,” Singh said.
1. What attitude is the transport ministry going to adopt towards the e-rickshaw operators?
2. What tests will have to be cleared by all-new models of e-rickshaws?
3. What is the biggest catch in the government’s ambitious plans?
4. When will the department register e-rickshaws of a particular model?
5. Do the e-rickshaws of the same model give the same performance?
6. How have the assemblers deceived the public and the exchequer?
7. What is the opinion of a think-tank on transport issues?
8. Can there be any trade-off between road safety and business gains?
1. The transport ministry is set to tighten norms governing safety and quality of e-rickshaws.
2. All new models will have to undergo 28 tests and must comply with the safety norms before they are registered.
3. The biggest catch in the ambitious plan of the government is the regularisation of thousands of e-rickshaws that are already plying or standing idle after the High Court’s order.
4. The department will register a particular model of e-rickshaw only after it has cleared all the 28 tests.
5. No, the e-rickshaws of the same model may not give the same kind of performance.
6. The assemblers who deceived the public and the Exchequer must be directed to take back these vehicles and refund the money to buyers.
7. The think-tank on transport issues opined that e-rickshaws have over 150 variants with different size, structure, material, wheels and tyres, a mismatch in payload and gross vehicle weight.
8. No, there can’t be any trade-off between road safety and business gains.
Download the above Passage in PDF Worksheet (Printable)
More Comprehension Pasages:-
Passage -11 Suicide (350 Words Subjective Solved)
This suicide articles is all about suicide and depression. IT tries to spread suicide awareness by setting suicide definition and gives you suicide facts. Read about this suicide disease and work for suicide prevention because suicide theory is nothing but a disease of depression.
Passage -12 A Dalit Man (400 Words Subjective Solved)
Passage -13 Adoption (400 Words Subjective Solved)
This adoption essay sets up a good adoption definition and tells you adoption meaning. Read theseadoption notes to know about adoption facts and adoption guidelines. There are several adoption stories about a child adoption. Read and understand adoption technology and adoption types.
Passage -14 A Page from My Diary (400 Words Objective Solved)
Passage -15 The Ozone Layer (400 Words Objective Solved)
The ozone layer depletion is on its peak. This passage is all about the ozone layer and the ozone layer restricts.
Passage -16 BPOs (400 Words Objective Solved)
This passage describes what BPO means and what BPO business is. It is all about BPO company and BPO Call Center which gives bpo definition. So learn BPO full form and gain benefits.
Passage -17 Humour (400 Words Objective Solved)
This passage is a perfect humour definition which tells you what is being humorous. Use these lines as humour quotes and be lost in humour.
Passage -18 Oil Spills on Sea (400 Words Objective Solved)
This passage describes oil spills effects and oil spills causes. You may recall it if oil spills on the ocean.
Passage -19 Think of The Environment (400 Words Subjective Solved)
This passage is all about the Environment. It focuses on environmental pollution, environmental studies and environmental science. It can be considered an environment essay. Go through it and increase environmental awareness
Passage -20 Air Pollution (358 Words Subjective/objective Solved)
This passage is all about Air Pollution. It describes air pollution causes and air pollution effects. It is air pollution essay and can be said air pollution article because it describes air pollution causes and air pollution health effects. Find this air pollution definition and read air pollution examples.