Read the passage and answer the following questions:-
1. Fish keeping has benefits that make it an attractive hobby for millions of people. Aquariums can bring a bit of nature, a living ecosystem, into any home, including apartments a fish tank can teach a child the responsibility of caring for other living creatures.
2. As pets fish have distinct advantages: they are quiet, they do not chew or scratch the furniture, and with a few slow-release feeders in their tank, they can safely be left alone for a week or two.
3. But it is likely the documented benefit to human health that has made aquariums so popular like petting a dog or cat, gazing at an aquarium at the end of a long, hard day can reduce stress and lower blood pressure. Likewise, research shows that people waiting to see a doctor or undergo medical procedure were less anxious after watching fish, also has a significant calming effect on children with attention deficit as well as on elderly people with Alzheimer’s disease. Today, home aquariums became popular as commercial fish breeding operations and air transport made it easy and affordable. More durable tanks and improved filtration system enabled hobbyists to sustain fish for longer periods.
4. Today, home aquariums range from a child’s goldfish bowl to elaborate tanks holding several hundred gallons of water and dozens of exotic fish, more adventurous hobbyist opt for saltwater tanks, which take more work and equipment to maintain a stable environment. Saltwater fish are more costly and more susceptible to changes in temperature and water quality than freshwater species. On the positive side, they are spectacularly colourful and turn a tank into a dramatic focal point.
5. Modern aquariums have evolved far beyond the boring rectangular tank. Today’s models come in almost any shape imaginable round hexagonal, bow front. Concave, free-form and flat to hang on the wall. They also have become key elements in the home and office decor. They are built into walls and incorporated into tables, lamps, desks and even bathtubs. Almost any object it seems can be turned into a fish tank.
Attempt any eight of the following questions on the basis of the passage you have read:
(i) Why do people prefer keeping fish as a pet?
(ii) What are the special advantages of petting fish?
(iii) How does fish-keeping control high blood pressure?
(iv) Why is saltwater tank used sometimes for keeping fish?
(v) What is the main reason for the popularity of aquariums?
(vi) Why is aquarium available in different shapes?
(vii) Why are saltwater fish high in demand?
(viii) What moral lesson do you take from this passage?
(ix) Find the word in para 3, which means the same as: ‘a disease of the brain that affects memory’.
(i)The aquarium can bring a bit of nature, a living ecosystem, in the apartments that do not allow other pet like tending a furry animal.
(ii) They are quiet, they do not chew or scratch the furniture.
(iii) Gazing at an aquarium at the end of a long, hard day can reduce stress and lower blood pressure.
(iv) They are spectacularly colourful and turn a tank into a dramatic focal point.
(v) Commercial fish-breeding operations and air transport made it easy and affordable.
(vi) They have become key elements in the home and office decor.
(vii) Because they are sensitive to changes in temperature and water quality.
(viii) We learn to love and care for other creatures.
(ix) Alzheimer’s disease
More Comprehension Pasages:-
This passage is all about atoms notes and atoms types which define atoms meaning. Read the definition of this atom with atoms examples. Learn about atmos energy and gain knowledge about atoms history.