Direct and Indirect speech is directly not asked in class 9 and 10 in CBSE Board but reported speech is not out of syllabus. It can be asked in gap-filling as giving the right verb forms. So learning direct and indirect speech rules is very necessary. Considering this Edumantra is providing reported speech rules and direct and indirect speech examples in a very easy and convenient manner followed by direct and indirect speech exercises for a nice practice. Learning direct indirect speech rules is not difficult as they are based on tenses. Narration rules given on Edumantra are convenient for all classes. It gives a deep insight of all like sentences like an assertive sentence, interrogative, imperative sentences, exclamatory as well as the optative sentence. Go through these narration exercises with reported speech
Change the form of the narration:
1. Nehru said, “The major portion of my ashes should be disposed of otherwise.”
2. “I have received a lot of love and affection from the Indian people,” Nehru said.
3. Nehru said, “I would not break this connection with the past.”
4. Nehru said, “Nothing that I can do, can repay even a small fraction of it.”
5. He said, “There can be no repayment of so precious a thing as affection.”
6. Socrates said, “I am right in not following them.”
7. Socrates said, “We must do as he says, Crito.”
8. The man said, “We only prepare. Socrates, just so much as we deem enough.”
9. The jailer said to Socrates, “I am sure that you will not be angry with me.”
10. Socrates said to the jailer, “Give me direction how I am to proceed.”
1. Nehru said that the major portion of his ashes should be disposed of otherwise.
2. Nehru said that he had received a lot of love and affection from the Indian people.
3. Nehru said that he would not break that connection with the past.
4. Nehru said that nothing that he could do could repay even a small fraction of it.
5. He said that there could be no repayment of so precious a thing as affection.
6. Socrates said that he was right in not following them.
7. Socrates told Crito that they must do as he said.
8. The man told Socrates that they only prepared just so much as they deemed enough.
9. The jailer told Socrates that he was sure that he would not be angry with him.
10. Socrates asked the jailer to give hint direction how he was to proceed.
For More Exercises:-