Read the passages given below and answer the questions that follow them:
1. These days, it is not unusual to see people listening to music or using their electronic gadgets while crossing busy roads or travelling on public transport, regardless of the risks involved. I have often wondered why they take such risks. Is it because they want to exude a sense of Independence, or is it that they want to tell the world to stop bothering them? Or is it that they Just want to show how cool they are? Whether it is a workman or an executive, earphones have become an inseparable part of our lives, sometimes even leading to tragicomic situations.
2. The other day, an electrician had come to our house to fix something. We told him in detail what needed to be done. But after he left, I found that the man had done almost nothing. It later turned out that he could not hear our directions clearly because he had an earphone on. Hundreds of such earphone addicts commute by the Delhi Metro every day. While one should not grudge anyone their moments of privacy or their love for music, the fact is iPod oblivion’ can sometimes be very dangerous.
3. Recently, I was travelling with my wife on the Delhi Metro. Since the train was approaching the last station, there weren’t too many passengers. In our compartment, other than us, there were only two women sitting on the other side of the aisle. And then suddenly, I spotted a duffel bag. The bomb scare lasted for several minutes. Then suddenly, a youth emerged from nowhere and picked up the bag. When we tried to stop him, he looked at us, surprised. Then he took off his earpieces, lifted the bag, and told us that the bag belonged to him and that he was going to get off at the next station.
4. We were stunned but recovered in time to ask him where he was all this while? His answer: he was in the compartment, leaning against the door totally immersed in the music. He had no clue about what was going on around him. When he got off, earplugs in his hand, we could hear strains of the song.
Word-Meaning: Gadgets—small tools or devices doing something useful, Regardless—without caring, Exude—show out something, Addicts—persons doing something habitually, Commute—to travel regularly, Grudge—envy, Oblivion—(here) passage, Stunned—highly surprised, `Recovered—(here) became normal again,Tigemail Immersed—totally lost,
1. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer any four of the following questions in about 30-40 words each:
(i) What are people usually seen doing while crossing busy roads or travelling on public transport?
(ii) Why had the electrician done almost nothing?
(iii) What did the narrator see on the Delhi Metro?
(iv) Where was the youngman all this while and what was he doing?
(v) Why do people listen to music or use their earphones while crossing busy roads or travelling on public transport?
2. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer any four of the following:
(i) It is difficult for us to spend a few days without ……………
(a) books (b) earphones (c) TVs (d) computers
(ii) The bomb scare lasted for several minutes in the Metro Train compartment because of the duffel bag………..
(a) contained bomb (b) was unattended
(c) was stolen (d) contained some suspicious things
(iii) In para 1, the antonym of ………. is ‘common’.
(a) busy (b) often (c) unusual (d) just
(iv) The owner of the bag could not notice what was going on in the compartment as he was totally lost in …………..
(a) reading a book (b) gossiping
(c) listening to music (d) operating laptop
(v) In para 4, the synonym of………… is ‘shocked’.
(a) stunned (b) recovered (c) immersed (d) got off
1.(i) People are usually seen listening to music or using their electronic gadgets while crossing busy roads or travelling on public transport.
(ii) The electrician had done almost nothing as he could not hear the directions given to him clearly as he had an earphone on all the while.
(iii) The narrator spotted an unattended duffel bag in the compartment causing the bomb scare for several minutes.
(iv) The young man was leaning against the door and he was totally immersed in music.
(v) People don’t bother about the risks involved in listening to music while crossing busy roads. Nor do they bother about others while travelling on public transport. They want to demonstrate their sense of independence to others. They don’t want the world to bother about them.
2.(i) (b) earphones
(ii) (b) was unattended
(iii) (c) unusual
(iv) (c) listening to music
(v) (a) stunned
More Comprehension Passages:-
This passage is all about resolutions meaning. Read and be resolute.
This travelling essay is all about travelling meaning. Read and learn about travelling and be a nice traveller.
This fear essay is all about fear of meaning. Read and find out the fear definition to overcome your fear.
This starvation definition is all about starvation causes. Read and gain knowledge about starvation meaning.
This passage describes climbing meaning. Read and gain knowledge about climbing.