RAIN ON THE ROOF
By- Coates Kinney
The rhyme scheme followed in the poem is: abcbdefe
The repetition of the first consonant sound in neighbouring words. Connects the lines and keeps the sonnet flowing.
- When the humid shadows hover (repetition of h sound).
- Overall the starry spheres (repetition of s sound).
- Press the pillow (repetition p sound).
- Cottage chamber bed (repetition c sound).
- Lie listening (repetition l sound).
Imagery is using vivid and expressive language to evoke pictures or feelings.
- Melancholy darkness
- Rainy tears
- Starry spheres
Repetition in poetry is multiple uses of a word, phrase, sound, or stanza.
- Listening to the patter (7), Listen to the patter (15)
- The poet is resting on his bed.
- Suddenly he hears the sound of clouds and quietness all around disappears.
- The rain starts all of a sudden.
- The tin roof of his cottage creates the beautiful sound of raindrops.
- The sound of rain echoes in the heart of the poet and he remembers a good number of things.
- Some of his memories are sweet and some are sad.
- The poet receives the sound of rain as a bliss.
- He remembers his childhood and sweet love received from his mother.