Reading Skills get sharpened by unseen passage reading comprehension test. We provide reading comprehension exercises with answers. Go through reading comprehension passages with multiple choice questions will help you in reading comprehension questions. We provide simple comprehension passages with questions and answers which have value based questions. These unseen comprehension passages are really helpful to all. Go through this reading comprehension pdf and reading passage worksheets to learn English. This trust essay is all about trust meaning which sets up a nice trust definition.
Read the following passage and answer the question given below:
1. Trust is rare today. Building trust is even harder because of the nature of the world as we experience it. The changes that characterise relationships, can soon wear down our normal instincts. Often, we have to depend on inner intuition to guide us through this maze.
2. Trust has nothing in common with naivety. Unless we allow doubt to play a role in our lives, we cannot hope to build lasting trust. In this respect, we are weak and vulnerable. We become strong slowly. God removes the props we have lived with, over the years. We cannot stand all alone. We must work towards building a community of trust.
3. Perforce, today space between us has shrunk due to quick movement — we travel vast distances and time zones in just a day or two. There is no time to absorb the lessons we learn from culture shocks and adapt to the differences that bring variety to the world. Earlier, families acted as natural environments for building trust. With people walking in and out of relationships, the whole edifice of families and society has undergone a transformation. Families, with their give and take, were able to provide stability to young and growing children. Now, torn between parents and custody battles, the young often are victims of such conflict.
4. The young, as well as adults, are exposed to all kinds of people, many of whom cannot be taken at their word. Inquisitiveness and an unwelcome preoccupation with what others are doing are some of the social side effects. Doubts help us to navigate through these environments before we arrive at some kind of permanence in our relationship with others.
5. We cannot be intimate with all; we can be so only with a limited few. That is why lasting friendships have become a casualty. When we build trust, it is after we have allowed the initial doubts to settle down. We could continue to doubt unsavoury people, but side-by-side, need to start building communities of trust.
6. Here, we have to factor out those whose motivations and behaviour is suspect. The world we confront every day is no longer simple. It is a world whose very existence is threatened by violence, mayhem, cruelty and distrust. If we take things at their face value we will end up impoverished. What is permanent will remain. Above all, the need to build a community of trust based on positive values ought to be of paramount importance.
On the basis of your understanding of the above passage answer each of the questions given below with the help of options that follow:
(a) Building trust is difficult because
(i) there is a change in the way people see the world
(ii) people are evil and hypocritical
(iii) we are insecure
(iv) people are careless
(b) The edifice of the world and society has undergone a change
(i) because it’s a modern world
(ii) because people walk in and out of relationships
(iii) because of poverty
(iv) because people are selfish
(c) The passage is talking about
(i) the world is an unsafe place.
(ii) not trusting anyone.
(iii) distrust among colleagues.
(iv) the need to trust people and build a community
(d) Some social side-effects are
(i) unwelcome preoccupation with what others are doing
(ii) thinking about yourself
(iii) Trusting everyone
(iv) dependency on others.
Answer the following questions briefly in your own words:
(e) What is the main idea of this paragraph?
(f) How can we build a sense of community?
(g) How does doubt act as a crucial element in building lasting trust?
(h) How has society changed in recent times?
(i) There is an urgent need to build a community of trust. Do you agree with this statement or hold contradictions? Why or why not?
(j) Why does the writer feel it is important to build a community based on trust?
(k) Find words from the passage which mean the same as each of the following:
(i) simplicity (para 2)
(ii) abstract structure (para 3)
(a) (i); (b) (ii);
(c) (iv); (d) (i)
(e) The paragraph talks about the reasons why it is difficult to trust anyone these days, including changing family structures, difficulty in adapting to the rapidly changing world around us, and the necessity of being cautious about untrustworthy people.
(f)We can build a sense of community by developing trust based on positive values.
(g) Doubt helps us to develop an intelligent perspective of who to trust. We can build strong trust only after our initial doubts are settled.
(h) Society has changed greatly in recent times. Earlier, families were the safe spaces for developing trust, but now more and more relationships are breaking apart, causing confusion and distrust.
(i) It is important to build a community of trust because the world has become a very violent, cruel place, where we cannot trust anyone, and where even our friendships are no longer lasting.
(j) While there are many untrustworthy people who we should not trust, it is equally important to build a community of trust, which will help us have a safe space where we can trust certain people.
(k) (i) naivety (ii) edifice
More Comprehension Passages:-
This English essay is all about English meaning. Read this English paragraph to find out the details of English essay topics, English articles, English letter and English story.
This passage is all about democratic countries meaning. Read and understand.
This great wall of China article is all about the great wall of China history. Read this the great wall of china essay and find the great wall of China information. It includes a great wall of China facts also.
This passage is all about heart meaning. Read and learn some interesting facts about heart meaning.