1. Who is Mr Lamb? How does Deny get into his garden?
Ans. Mr Lamb is an old man who lives in a big house and has a big garden. He has lost his leg in the war and had a tin leg. Deny entered Mr Lamb’s garden by climbing the wall. He does not come here to steal the apples like other children but out of sheer curiosity.
2. Do you think all this will change Derry’s attitude towards Mr Lamb?
Ans. Derry had quite a negative attitude towards life and people due to his burnt face. He suffered from inferiority complex and avoided meeting people. But after his long conversation with Mr Lamb, he was able to overcome his inferiority complex and change his attitude towards life.
Reading with Insight
3. What is it that draws Derry to Mr Lamb in spite of himself?
Ans. Mr Lamb was not scared of Derry’s burnt face. He wanted to be in his company and wanted to talk to him. Mr Lamb was also handicapped and was alone. He found a good friend in Deny and inspired him to think positively. Thus, Derry got drawn to Mr Lamb.
4. The actual pain or inconvenience caused by a physical impairment is often much less than the sense of alienation felt by the person with disabilities. What is the kind of behaviour that the person expects from others?
Ans. The sense of alienation caused by a physical impairment is no doubt more painful than the actual inconvenience caused by physical impairment. This is clearly proved by the play ‘On the face of it’. Derry seems to be a living example of this fact. He got his face burnt by acid leaving scars and infirmity. The attitude of people towards him gave him more pain and torture than his physical pain. He is deeply hurt and disgusted when he realises that his family is anxious about his future. When he overhears two women talking about his ugly face, he felt pain. The insensitive remarks of the women in which they suggest him to be in the company of people like him developed a sense of alienation in hit He surrounded himself in a shell and developed a very negative attitude towards the society and finally towards life.
5. Will Deny get back to his old seclusion or will Mr Lamb’s brief association effect a change in the kind of life he will lead in future?
Ans. Derry had received a lot of positivity from Mr Lamb, who encouraged him to live his life. He had motivated him so much that he had come out of his inferiority complex. So he would not get back to his seclusion.