Dear users Antonyms in English is really a valuable part of the vocabulary word. If you are really in a need of antonyms search, this page redirects you to an antonyms dictionary which contains a lot of antonyms examples. The following antonyms list will be helpful for various competitive exams. These antonyms and synonyms words are arranged alphabetically. Find these antonyms exercises and worksheets which really describes vocabulary meaning or what is vocabulary in English. Enable yourself with vocabulary words pdf with the presentation of vocabulary practice. You will be happy to find 100 words with synonyms and antonyms-
1. Phoolan Devi had to (surrender) under the most pressing circumstances.
(a) release (b) claim (c) plunder (d) attack
2. The students (assembled) in the meeting hall. (B.S.R.B. 1992)
(a) removed (b) diffused (c) dispersed (d) eliminated
3. His (boorish) ways amused everyone.
(a) refined (b) funny (c) eccentric (d) friendly
4. How can you cut an apple with this (blunt) knife?
(a) pointed (b) sharpened (c) polished (d) filed
5. He has suspended his secretary on a (flimsy) (C.D.S. 1995)
(a) vigorous (b) strong (c) sound (d) salutory
6. A faithful officer is always (vigilant) towards his duties.
(a) innocent (b) ignorant (c) irresponsible (d) careless
7. The (gross) domestic product (GDP) is an essential component of the economy.
(a) rough (b) coarse (c) refined (d) estimated
8. It was really a (gracious) occasion for me.
(a) benign (b) infructuous (c) churlish (d) wasteful
9. The man at the gate had a (forbidding) (N.D.A. 1994)
(a) lenient (b) handsome
10. Terrorism is a serious (hazard) to the country.
(a) chance (b) peril (c) safety (d) problem
11. (Nourishing) food is a necessity both for a pregnant mother and a baby.
(a) Unhygienic (b) Poor (c) Undercooked (d) Heavy
12. There is a (dearth) of milk in Delhi nowadays.
(a) extravagance (b) scarcity (c) abundance (d) sufficiency
13. Gandhi did not welcome the idea of being a mute spectator to the (atrocious) behaviour of the whites towards the non-whites in Africa.
(a) gracious (b) noble (c) civilised (d) pleasing
14. A (friendly) dog met us at the farm gate. (C.D.S. 1995)
(a) hostile (b) quiet (c) understanding (d) helpful
15. The scene was indeed (captivating).
(a) hateful (b) disgusting (c) repulsive (d) obscene
16. That police officer is known to be (humane) in his approach.
(a) unsympathetic (b) uncultured (c) uncompromising (d) uncivilised
17. A crowd (gathered) quickly when the police came. (N.D.A. 1995)
(a) collected (b) dispersed (c) spread (d) disappeared
18. Matter (expands) on heating.
(a) shrinks (b) reduces (c) diminishes (d) contracts
19. Hydra is biologically believed to be (immortal).
(a) undying (b) perishable (c) ancient (d) eternal
20. (Crestfallen) he returned as he had never faced such humiliation in the whole of his life.
(a) Disturbed (b) Vainglorious (c) Triumphant (d) Indignant
1. (b) 2. (c)
3. (a) 4. (b)
5. (d) 6. (d)
7. (d) 8. (c)
9. (b) 10. (c)
11. (a) 12. (c)
13. (b) 14. (a)
15. (c) 16. (a)
17. (b) 18. (d)
19. (b) 20. (c)
Antonyms Dictionary, Examples and Exercises No. -29
Directions: Each of the following questions consists of a word or phrase within a bracket. It is followed by certain words or phrases as options. Select the word or phrase which is opposite in meaning of the word or phrase within a bracket.