The Laburnum Top NCERT Solutions are written by experts. Go through and gain confidence. We at edumantra highly appreciate your feedback regarding The Laburnum Top Notes.
The Laburnum Top NCERT Solutions
Think it Out
1. What do you notice about the beginning and the ending of the poem?
Ans. The poem begins with silence and stillness on the top of the laburnum tree. The poem ends with the sinking of the tree into old silence and stillness.
2. To what is the bird’s movement compared? What is the basis for the comparison?
Ans. The movement of goldfinch is compared to that of a lizard. Both are smooth, shiny, alert and abrupt.
3. Why is the image of the engine evoked by the poet?
Ans. The poet likens the sudden chirping noise of the young chicks to the noise of a steam engine starting up. The bird, as it were, stokes the tire in the engine and makes her young ones chirp together.
4. What do you like most about the poem?
Ans. This simple poem describes a commonplace scene. The star attractions of the poem are its poetic description and its imagery. The poet builds up a lovely scene using a minimum of words. Secondly, there is music in sound words.
5. What does the phrase “her barred face identity mask” mean?
Ans. The goldfinch has coloured stripes across her face. It looks like a mask or covering on the face. It helps to identify the bird.
1.the sound words: chirrup, chitterings, trillings, tremor, whispering.
2. the movement words: comes, enters, starts up, flirts out, launches away, tremble, subside.
3. the dominant colour in the poem: yellow.
List the following
1.Words which describe ‘sleek’, ‘alert’ and abrupt.
Ans. lizard, machine, the suddenness
2. Words with the sound ‘eh’ as in chart and `tr’ as in trembles in the poem.
Ans. goldfinch, branch, chitterings, chirrup, twitch, trillings, tremors.
3. Other sounds that occur frequently in the poem.
Ans. ...ings as in twitching, chitterings, wings, trillings, whisperings.
1. What is laburnum called in your language?
Ans. This little tree with yellow flowers is called Amaltash in Hindi.
2. Which local bird is like the goldfinch?
Ans. The local bird similar in size to goldfinch is the sparrow or chinmuniya/gauraiya.