Direct and Indirect speech is directly not asked in class 9 and 10 in CBSE Board but reported speech is not out of syllabus. It can be asked in gap-filling as giving the right verb forms. So learning direct and indirect speech rules is very necessary. Considering this Edumantra is providing reported speech rules and direct and indirect speech examples in a very easy and convenient manner followed by direct and indirect speech exercises for a nice practice. Learning direct indirect speech rules is not difficult as they are based on tenses. Narration rules given on Edumantra are convenient for all classes. It gives a deep insight of all like sentences like an assertive sentence, interrogative, imperative sentences, exclamatory as well as the optative sentence. Go through these narration exercises with reported speech examples. Narration change will be easy with Edumantra.net. Practice these direct indirect speech exercise and be full of knowledge.
Put the following sentences into the indirect speech:
1.I said to him, “When are you going to Amritsar?”
2. He said to me, “Will you post this letter for me?”
3. “Who has taken my dictionary?” my father said to us.
4. The tourist said to the policeman, “Flow long does it take to reach Shimla by bus?”
5. The detective said to the lady, “What were you doing at this time yesterday?”
6. He said to me, “Shall I open the window?”
7. “Do you want to see the Taj Mahal ?” the guide said to the tourist.
8. The girl said to me, “Are you sitting on my seat?”
9. “Are you building a new house?” he said to me.
10. “Did you sleep well last night?” my host said to me.
1. I asked him when he was going to Amritsar.
2. He asked me if I would post that letter to him,
3. My father asked us who had taken his dictionary.
4. The tourist asked the policeman how long it took to reach Shimla by bus.
5. The detective asked the lady what she had been doing at that time the previous day.
6. He asked me if he should open the window.
7. The guide asked the tourist if he wanted to see the Taj Mahal.
8. The girl asked me whether I was sitting on her scat.
9. He asked me if I was building a new house.
10. My host asked me whether I had slept well the previous night.
Change the following into Indirect Speech:
1. The Principal said to the peon, “Bring that file to me.”
2. The Headmaster said to the peon, “Ring the bell.”
3. I said to him, “Please don’t smoke here.”
4. She said to the servant, “Open the door.”
5. He said to his son, “Never tell a lie.”
6. The captain said to the soldiers, “Fire at the enemy.”
7.Ram said to Mohan, “Listen to what I say.”
8. The manager said to the servant, “Go and post this letter.”
9. I said to the students, “Work regularly.”
10. Mother said to her son, “Do what you are told.”
1. The Principal ordered the peon to bring that file to him.=
2. The Headmaster ordered the peon to ring the bell.
3. I requested him not to smoke there.
4. She ordered the servant to open the door.
5. He advised his son never to tell a lie.
6. The captain ordered the soldiers to fire at the enemy.
7. Ram asked Mohan to listen to what he said.
8. The Manager ordered the servant to go and post that letter.
9. 1 advised the students to work regularly.
10. Mother ordered her son to do what he was told.