Reading Skills get sharpened by unseen passage reading comprehension test. We provide reading comprehension exercises with answers. Go through reading comprehension passages with multiple choice questions will help you in reading comprehension questions. We provide simple comprehension passages with questions and answers which have value based questions. These unseen comprehension passages are really helpful to all. Go through this reading comprehension pdf and reading passage worksheets to learn English. This passion essay is all about passion meaning. Read and be passionate.
Read the Passage and answer the following questions:-
1. So great is our passion’ for doing things for ourselves, that we are becoming increasingly less dependent on specialized labour. No one can plead ignorance of a subject any longer, for there are countless do-it-yourself publications. Armed with the right tools and materials, newly-weds gaily embark on the task of decorating their own homes. Men of all ages spend hours of their leisure time installing their own fire-places, laying out their own gardens, building garages and making furniture. Some really keen enthusiasts go so far as to make their own record players and radio transmitters. Shops cater for the do-it-yourself craze not only by running special advisory services for novices** but by offering consumers bits and pieces which they can assemble at home. Such things provide an excellent outlet for pent up creative energy, but unfortunately, not all of us are born handymen.
2. Wives tend to believe that their husbands are infinitely resourceful and versatile6. Even husbands who can hardly drive a nail in straight are supposed to be born electricians, carpenters, plumbers and mechanics. When lights fuse, furniture gets rickety, pipes get clogged, or vacuum cleaners fail to operate, wives automatically assume that their husbands will somehow put things right; The worst thing about the do-it-yourself game is that sometimes husbands live under the delusion that they can do anything even when they have been repeatedly proved wrong. It is a question of pride as much as anything else.
3. Last spring my wife suggested that I call in a man to look at our lawn-mower. It had broken down the previous summer, and though I promised to repair it, I had never got round to it. I would hear of the suggestion and said that I would fix it myself. One Saturday afternoon I hauled the machine into the garden and had a close look at it. As far as I could see, it only needed a minor adjustment: a turn of a screw here, a little tightening up there, a drop of oil and it would be as good as new. Inevitably9 the repair job was not quite so simple. The mower firmly refused to mow, so I decided to dismantle it. The garden was soon littered with chunks of metal which had once made up a lawn-mower. But I was extremely pleased with myself. I had traced the cause of the trouble. One of the links in the chain that drives the wheels had snapped”.
4. After buying a new chain I was faced with the insurmountable task of putting the confusing jigsaw puzzle together again. I was not surprised to find that the machine still refused to work after I had reassembled it, for the simple reason that I was left with several curiously shaped bits of metal which did not seem to fit anywhere. I gave up in despair. The weeks passed and the grass grew. When my wife nagged” me to do something about it, I told her that either I would have to buy a new mower or let the grass grow. Needless to say that our house is now surrounded by a jungle. Buried somewhere in deep grass there is a rusting lawn-mower which I have promised to repair one day.
passion—strong feeling– 2. specialized—relating to a specialist. 3. embark on—start or engage in. 4. novice—a person who is new and inexperienced in a job. 5. handymen–persons who are clever at doing household repairs 6. versatile—turning easily from one skill or occupation to another. 7. delusion—false opinion or belief 8. got round to It—found the necessary time to do it 9. Inevitably—surely. 10. dismantle-to take to pieces. 11. snapped—broken. 12. Insurmountable—that can’t be overcome. 13. nagged—scolded and criticized continuously.
Answer the following questions as briefly as possible:
a) Why do people not rely on specialised labour so much nowadays, according to the writer?
b) How do business organizations encourage people to do things for themselves?
c) What do wives tend to believe about their husbands?
d) Why do husbands think that they can do anything even when proved otherwise?
e) Do-it-yourself craze has its own advantage. What is that?
2. Find words in the passage which convey a similar meaning as the following:
a) It is due to my passion for doing things for oneself.
b) Business organizations cater to the do-it-yourself craze by offering the customers bits and pieces which they can assemble at home. There are also countless do-it-yourself
c) Wives tend to believe that their husbands are infinitely resourceful and versatile.
d) It is due to their pride or perhaps their folly.
e) It provides an excellent outlet for pent up creative energy.
2. a) carried —> hauled.
b) zealous — enthusiastic
More Comprehension Passages:-
This Shakespeare biography is all about Shakespeare plays. These Shakespeare notes focus on Shakespeare education and Shakespeare early life. He is famous for Shakespeare quotes, Shakespeare drama and Shakespeare sonnets including some Shakespeare tragedy plays. Go through the passage and learn about Shakespeare poems as well as Shakespeare poetry.
These business environment notes are all about business environment meaning. Read and do business environment analysis. Find what is really business environment meaning.
This yoga essay is all about yoga health benefits. This can be used as yoga speech because it tells yoga meaning. This yoga education passage tells yoga history and the importance of yoga for kids. That’s why we celebrate yoga day of 21st June. Learn about yoga health.
This newspaper essay covers newspaper topic. This newspaper article example tells about newspaper history and newspaper in English. Read the importance of newspaper for kids.