Reading Skills get sharpened by unseen passage reading comprehension test. We provide reading comprehension exercises with answers. Go through reading comprehension passages with multiple choice questions will help you in reading comprehension questions. We provide simple comprehension passages with questions and answers which have value based questions. These unseen comprehension passages are really helpful to all. Go through this reading comprehension pdf and reading passage worksheets to learn English.
Corner of Chandni Chowk
Read the passage and answer the Following Questions Carefully:-
1. It is an unpretentious structure tucked in a corner of Chandni Chowk. It could be missed by a passer-by but for the chirping which gives away its unique mission. The Charity Birds Hospital is the only one of its kind in the country.
2. Many people arrive here daily with injured birds which they may have found lying by the roadside. After a quick inspection, an attendant makes a simple entry in the register: name of the person, kind of bird and date and ‘admits the patient’ for treatment free of cost. The bird then becomes the sole responsibility of the hospital.
3. The ailing bird is administered first-aid and then kept in an isolated cage. Often medication and proper care are all that is needed. After the wound heals, the bird is moved to a common section with other birds of its kind. Soon it will be healthy enough to fly away; many keep visiting the terrace for food and water.
4. The work began way back in 1929 in a small one-room structure. One Lala Lachumal Jain, along with others decided to start a medical facility for birds. Later it became increasingly difficult to treat a large number of birds being brought. In 1957 the present building was inaugurated.
5. The progress of the hospital has been slow but steady. Till 1969 only ayurvedic treatment was being administered. Allopathy was adopted that year and it was as recently as in 1992 that a laboratory was set up to conduct pathological tests. Though surgery is conducted at times and doctors try their best to save the bird’s life, it is often too late. The mortality rate is quite high: around five to six birds die every day.
6. The hospital survives only on charity. The trustees proudly claim that there is a steady flow of donations. Rich businessmen visit it and even tourists donate generously. Till date, they have never approached the government for funds.
7. However, the hospital has drawbacks. It does not accept carnivorous birds and does not admit pet birds. Moreover, the bird is subjected to a lot of stress as, being in old Delhi, the place is not easily accessible. Since it survives on charity, it is unable to take up research work.
8. But work goes on. The staff says, they receive as many as 50-60 cases a day. The hospital has an emergency ward and stays open round the clock. It spends approximately Rs. 6 lakh to Rs. 7 lakh annually and at any given time looks after 4000 to 5000 birds.
1.Unpretentious—not showy modest, very simple. 2. Tucked in—hidden, not easily noticed, 3. Gives away—shows presents reveals. 4. Mission—particular task or duty. 5. Ailing—sick. 6. Medication—medicine. 7. terrace—verandah. 8. Antipathy— a system of medical treatment that makes use of all measures that have proved useful in the treatment of disease. 9. pathology- it cal-relating to the scientific study of diseases or the body. 10. Carnivorous—flesh-eating. 11. Accessible—approachable that can be easily reached.
(a) On the basis of your reading of the passage make notes on it, using recognizable abbreviations wherever necessary. Use a format you consider suitable. Supply a suitable title.
(b) Write a summary of the passage in about 80 words.
(a) Notes on the contents of the Passage :
A.Charity Birds Hospital :
(i) situated in a comer of Chandni Chowk, Delhi.
(ii) the only hospital of its kind.
(iii) a very simple blog.
(iv) started in 1929 by Mr Jain.
B. Source of Income :
(i)don. from rich b. men and tourists.
(ii) govt. never approached for funds.
C.Treatment of Birds :
(ii)Ayur.; allopathy adopted in 1969.
(iii)50-60 new cases received daily.
(iv)cami. birds not accepted.
(v)annual expenditure 6-7 lakh.
(vi)4000 to 5000 birds looked after.
|Abbreviations used :|
1. Hsptl.- hospital
4. b. men—businessmen
5 Ayur. — Ayurvedic
6. carni. — carnivorous
Title: A Unique Charity Birds Hospital
(b) Summary of the Passage :
The Charity Birds Hospital of Chandni Chowk, Delhi is the only one of its kind in the country. It was started in 1929 by Lala Lachumal Jain with the help of some others. The hospital is run purely on charity without any help from the government. About 6 to 7 lakhs are spent annually on the treatment and food of birds. About 50-60 cases are received in the hospital daily. Pets and carnivorous birds are not accepted. Due to the paucity of funds research work is not possible.
More Comprehension Passages:-
This passage is all about resolutions meaning. Read and be resolute.
This travelling essay is all about travelling meaning. Read and learn about travelling and be a nice traveller.
This fear essay is all about fear of meaning. Read and find out the fear definition to overcome your fear.
This starvation definition is all about starvation causes. Read and gain knowledge about starvation meaning.
This passage describes climbing meaning. Read and gain knowledge about climbing.