Study of phrases and idioms is very important to learn the advanced English language. We are providing phrases Exercises with phrases meaning which can be said verb phrase examples. Through this phrase express, you will learn idioms and phrases English and be perfect in phrase grammar. So if you are searching for the phrase in English and phrase meanings with sentences or phrase and clause you are at the right place. Find these phrase keywords and enjoy this phrases list.
Directions: of the alternatives given for each group of sentences, find the best fits into the blank in each of the given sentences:
Questions 1 to 5
(a) pull up (b) pull through (c) pull down (d) pull together
1.The coach _______at a little roadside inn.
2. He managed to_______ the examination.
3. Unless we _______we cannot succeed.
4. The building was_______
5. The doctor says the patient will_______
Questions 6 to 9
(a) cast away (b) cast down (c) cast up (d) cast aside
6. The student who———- the instructions of his teacher cannot learn anything.
7. The ship was ——— on the coast of Africa.
8. Please———- this column of figures.
9. He was much——— by his loss.
Questions 10 to 13
(a) throw up (b) throw out (c) throw off (d) throw down
10. The Bill was———-
11. She ——— all sense of shame.
12. The walls were———–
13. He———— his appointment.
Questions 14 to 17
(a) turn up (b) turn off (c) turn out (d) turn away
14. This road——— of the right.
15. The lost boy———- after two years.
16. Don’t———- me———- of doors.
17. He———– his dishonest servant.
1.(a): pulled up – came to halt
2. (b): pull through – pass with difficulty
3. (d): pull together – cooperate
4. (c): pulled down – demolished
5. (b): pull through – recover
6. (c): casts aside – ignores as useless
7. (a): castaway – wrecked
8. (d) : cast up – calculate
9. (b) : cast down – depressed
10. (b): thrown out – rejected
11. (c): threw off – discarded
12. (b) : thrown down – demolished
13. (a): threw up – resigned
14. (b): turns up – diverts
15. (a) : turned up – appeared
16. (c): turn out – expel
17. (d): turned away – dismissed