Study of phrases and idioms is very important to learn the advanced English language. We are providing phrases Exercises with phrases meaning which can be said verb phrase examples. Through this phrase express, you will learn idioms and phrases English and be perfect in phrase grammar. So if you are searching for the phrase in English and phrase meanings with sentences or phrase and clause you are at the right place. Find these phrase keywords and enjoy this phrases list.
In the following exercise, a sentence is given in which a phrase has been italicized and kept in a bracket, followed by some alternatives. You are required to choose that best alternative which expresses the meaning of the italicized phrase.
1.The old father (brought home) the moral of unity by asking each of his sons to break the bundle of sticks. (Stenographers’ Exam, 1995)
2. I cannot (conceive) of a time when I was without a refrigerator.
(d) wait for
3. The case was (held overdue) to the great opposition to it.
4. If the does not agree with your views, the best way is to (fall in) with him.
5. As is expected of him, Macho is sure to (work up) the mob.
6. At my friend’s tea party I (fell in) with a strange fellow.
(a) had a quarrel with
(b) met accidentally
(c) had an argument with
(d) made friends with
7. I( ran out of )money on my European tour. (Stenographers’ Exam, 1993)
(a) carried a lot of
(c) did not have enough
(d) exhausted my steels of
8. There is no need try (rake up) an old quarrel.
9. There bels (held out) for about a month. (Section Officers, 1993)
10. He always (runs down) his brother only because the latter is poor.
(a) quarrels with
(b) disagrees with
(c) influences adversely
11. Men generally get (broken down) in old age.
(c) fail in health
(d) have poor financial conditions
12. He (dashed off) three letters in ten minutes.
(b) went through
(c) packed up
1.(c) 2. (b)
3. (c) 4. (a)
5. (a) 6. (6)
7. (d) 8. (c)
9. (b) 10. (d)
11. (c) 12. (a)