Study of phrases and idioms is very important to learn the advanced English language. We are providing phrases Exercises with phrases meaning which can be said verb phrase examples. Through this phrase express, you will learn idioms and phrases English and be perfect in phrase grammar. So if you are searching for phrase in English and phrase meanings with sentences or phrase and clause you are at the right place. Find these phrase keywords and enjoy this phrases list.
Directions: of the alternatives given for each group of sentences, find the best fits into the blank in each of the given sentences:
Questions 1 to 7
(a) fall in (b) fall out (c) fall back (d) fall off (e) fall through
1. At last the rioters——-
2. The two brothers have——– with each other.
3. In the second school-term the attendance ———-
4. As neither of us would give in, the bargain———-
5. At present many persons oppose my scheme, but by and by they will———
6. Ripe mangoes have started———
7. The standard of efficiency in public service has——–
Questions 8 to 11
(a) look over (b) look into (c) look for (d) look out for
8. You should ——–the matter.
9. I ———-my accounts.
10. We are——— the lost keys.
11. The eagle is——– prey.
Questions 12 to 16
(a) layout (b) lay by (c) lay down (d) layup of his
12. He resolved to——— a part of his income.
13. Satish has ———- a large sum in share.
14. The rebels———- their arms.
15. He is————- with fever.
16. People, who do not———–their money carefully, soon come to grief.
1.(c): fallen out – quarrelled
2. (b): fell off – diminished
3. (d): fell through – came to nothing
4. (e): fall in – agree
5. (a): falling off- dropping
6. (d): fallen off – deteriorated
7. (d): look into – investigate
8. (b): looked over-examined
9. (a): looking for – searching for
10. (c): looking out for – to be on the watch for
11. (d) : lay by – save for future
12. (b) : laid out – invested
13. (a): laid down – surrendered
14. (c): laid up – confined to bed
15. (d): lay out – spend
16. (a): lay – spend