Following are the reading comprehension worksheets for class 10th in English These comprehension passages are known by many names as reading comprehension exercises, reading comprehension test, reading passages, reading skills, reading comprehension, ks2 reading, basic reading skills worksheets. These ENGLISH short stories with questions and answers are printable and absolutely free. The comprehension questions are value based. Edumantra.net guarantees to be the best comprehension resource. Question types include subjective, objective and multiple choice
Read the given rite and answer the questions given below :
1. Sonoma. a place out two hours from Berkeley is another place one should visit when in the US. It is close to the Napa Valley. Both Napa Valley and Sonoma are famous for wines. When in the US remember to visit the beach there. It is a treat to watch the forceful Pacific Ocean at its best I The Pacific coastline looks imposing with its high cliffs. Many American movie chase sequences have been shot here.
2. While in the US, I happened to visit an American private school – the Head Royce School – in Oakland, California. The school was earlier divided into two separate schools – Anna Head School, for girls and the Royce School, for boys. Anna Head and Mr Royce were cousins and the schools were merged many years after their death to form the Head Royce School.
3. As expected, the school was vastly different from any Indian School. The teaching method was different. For every little concept, teachers used audio-visual aids. Believe it or not but students there listened to music while studying! I also happened to see a quiz contest-that between younger and older teachers. The older teachers won by a very thin margin. Seeing the school, I wished we could have exchange programmes with such schools-an interactive learning session. It is one of the best tools for learning.
4. I am sure most of you must have heard about the famous ‘Thanksgiving” celebrations. I spent Thanksgiving with an American family. Thanksgiving is celebrated in remembrance of the first pilgrims from Europe who survived the hard winter in America in the 17th century with the help of the Natives. It is still celebrated to thank God for everything.
5. A huge family feast with a roasted turkey is the focus of the occasion. The feast also includes cranberry stance (cooked and uncooked), sweet potatoes. bread stuffing and salad. For dessert, there were three kinds of pies- pumpkin, apple and pecan.
Did I tell you about something that often happens in India but it’s not something which one normally associates with the US-Power breakdown? One day there was a massive wind-storm in Berkeley. It snapped multiple electricity wires in the hills of Berkeley where we were staying. Since the house was surrounded by huge. thick tree, the fault took full 48 hours to get repaired. It wasn’t all that bad as we were sitting around a fireplace. The room was cosy and soon after we got busy playing chess and singing and dancing.
On the basis of your reading of the above passage, answer the following questions :
(a) What is Sonoma famous for ?
(b) Why is Sonoma the most sought after location by the american film makers ? _______________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
(c) What led to the formation of the Head Royce School ? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
(d) How is the Head Royce School different tram any Indian School ? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
(e) What is the significance of Thanksgiving celebrations ? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
(f) How is Thanksgiving occasion celebrated ? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
(g) What is ‘that something’ which often happens in India ? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
(h) Find a word (in para 3) which means the opposite of ‘same’ ? _________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________
(a) Sonoma is famous for wines. It is also well known for its beach.
(b) The Pacific coastline looks imposing with its high cleffs. So it is a treat to watch the Pacific Ocean at its best at Sonoma.
(c) Anna Head School for girls and Royce School for boys were run by two cousins -Anna Head and Mr. Royce. Many years after the death of the founders both the schools were merged to form the Head Royce School.
(d) It has different teaching methods. Audio-visual aids are used to explain every concept. Students listen to music while studying. There are quiz-contests between the students and the teachers.
(e) Thanks giving is celebrated to remember the first pilgrims from Europe who survived the hard winter in America in the 17th century with the help of the Natives. It is still celebrated to thank God for everything.
(f) A roasted turkey is the focus of the occasion. The family feast also includes cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes. bread stuffings and salad. Three kinds of pies – of pumpkin, apple and pecan were for dessert.
(g) Here that some thing refers to the frequent electricity breakdown.
(h) Same = Different.