Reading Skills get sharpened by unseen passage reading comprehension test. We provide reading comprehension exercises with answers. Go through reading comprehension passages with multiple choice questions will help you in reading comprehension questions. We provide simple comprehension passages with questions and answers which have value based questions. These unseen comprehension passages are really helpful to all. Go through this reading comprehension pdf and reading passage worksheets to learn English. This tourism article defines tourism meaning. Read and gain knowledge.
Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
Tourism is travel for recreation, leisure, religious, family or business purposes, normally for a limited duration. Tourism is generally associated with International travel, but may also refer to travel to another place within the same country. The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people “travelling to and staying at places outside their usual environment for not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes”.
1. Tourism has become a popular global leisure activity. Tourism can either be domestic or international tourism can be classified as either inbound or outbound tourism. Today inbound tourism is a major source of income for many countries. Especially in terms of foreign exchange earned by the country as a whole. It also has a substantial impact on the local economy and employment of a place frequently visited by tourists.
2. India is a country with a rich cultural heritage which has always fascinated travellers. It is a unique land of diversities where all kinds of natural beauty including desert, sea forests, mountains, flowers, wildlife is present within a single geographical boundary of a country. Anybody visiting India will have experience of different dresses, culture, flora and fauna in different states. Thus India has always been a destination for tourists who want to enjoy this combination of culture, tradition and rich heritage. Not only this, foreign tourists act as “Ambassadors of Indian Culture” and take the message further across the world.
3. The Indian government has made various efforts to take advantage of these unique possessions to promote tourism. One such big initiative is the scheme of e-Tourist. The measure has been introduced to make travelling to India easier and simpler for foreign tourists.
4. The entire scheme began with the demand by the tourism industry to liberalize the visa regime for foreign tourists to give a boost to tourism in the country. In response, “Visa-On-Arrival” was initiated by the government and is now made available to forty-four countries. “Visa-On-Arrival” means that you need a visa to enter but it is possible to apply for and receive the visa only when you show up in the country of the visit itself.
1. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer the following questions in about 30-40 words
(i) What do you understand by ‘tourism’?
(ii) How is the economy of a country affected by tourism?
(iii) Can India be a popular tourist destination? Give two reasons.
(iv) Give any two factors that help boost tourism in India.
(v) What is the aim of e-tourist visa?
2. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer the following:
(i) In para 1, the synonym of ‘frequently’ is ……………….
(a) consecutive (b) regularly
(c) occasionally (d) seemingly
(ii) Inbound tourism is a major source of……………..
(a)Knowledge (b) foreign
(c) exchange (d) economy
(iii) The rich cultural heritage of India has always …………… travellers.
(a)pulled (b) pushed
(c) influenced (d) invited
(iv) The government of India took several steps……………. tourism in the country.
(a) to encourage (b) to promote
(c) to spread (d) to introduce
(v) In para 4, the antonym for ‘boost’ is…………….
(a) harsh (b) spoil
(c) mar (d) split
2.1 (i) Travel for tourism, business, pleasure, religious or any other purpose – domestic or international usually for a limited duration.
(ii) Major sources of income, provide employment.
(iii) Yes, India is the unique land of diversities and rich heritage.
(iv) Introduction of e-tourist visa — visa on arrival in addition to other factors.
(v) It aims to make travelling to India easier and simpler for foreign tourists.
2.2 (i) (b) regularly
(ii) (a) knowledge
(iii) (c) influenced
(iv) (b) to promote
(v) (c) mar
More Comprehension Pasages:-
This passage is a great happiness article including happiness meaning. This happiness essay is a perfect happiness definition which gives happiness tips.
This passage is all about truth meaning. This truth essay gives perfect truth definition including some truth questions.
This passage is a perfect positive thinking article including positive thinking definition. This positive thinking essay includes some positive thinking examples because positive thinking effects are immense. Positive thinking habits can change your mind.
This passage is all about tsunami causes including exactly tsunami meaning. This tsunami essay describes tsunami facts and tsunami effects. Tsunami earthquake is devastating. Go through this tsunami history.
This passage describes convention meaning with some convention examples. Try to find a convention centre for a convention event.
This passage describes crash dieting meaning which is crash dieting for weight loss. You will know crash dieting works through this passage.
This passage describes Chinese culture facts including Chinese culture food and Chinese culture for kids. Through this Chinese culture essay, you will learn Chinese cultural history. Go through this Chinese culture article.
This passage is a fine junk food essay which describes junk food meaning and gives junk food definition. This junk food article tells the junk food diet and junk food effects. This junk food speech covers full junk food topic including junk food types and junk food facts.