Following are the reading comprehension worksheets for class 11th in English These comprehension Passages are known by many names as reading comprehension exercises, reading comprehension test, reading Passage, reading skills, reading comprehension, ks2 reading, basic reading skills worksheets. These ENGLISH short stories with questions and answers are printable and absolutely free. The comprehension questions are value based. Edumantra.net guarantees to be the best comprehension resource. Question types include subjective, objective and multiple choice
Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow:
1. Science and technology not only dominate the psyche of humanity but also the whole biosphere. How does science influence civilisation and how is it related to human happiness.
2. The original, cosmic evolution of the biosphere was one that promoted, supported, nourished, sustained and enhanced life. Life went on adding to the evolution with newer species and ecosystems, even more, beautiful and vibrant than the ones before.
Our biosphere accommodated a pleasant weather cycle and climate system to support these newer species, keeping everything in dynamic equilibrium.
3. Now the biosphere is overburdened and ailing. Some of our ecosystems have already collapsed, while others are at death’s door. Ever increasing pollution coupled with over-exploitation of natural resources and greenhouse gas emission is driving several species towards extinction. This is not a phenomenon that has occurred by itself, and neither has it been caused by, human beings alone. But it definitely has been spurred by so-called advances in technology.
4. In th is millennium, we no longer live in a biosphere — we are inhabitants of a technosphere. A technosphere is an impaired biosphere that has no affinity with values of
5. We’ve reached a point where we are intolerant of anything remotely “unscientific” in our contemporary world. Scientists look for alternatives, but even these solutions are sought in the same domain that has caused these problems. In short, we are stewing in a soup of our own making.
6. So, what would be meaningful for the welfare of humans? Naturally, something that would enhance life, serve to integrate ecosystems and cleanse our environment. Enhancement of life includes betterment of human life and vice versa. If life shrinks, we cannot blossom.
7. Science and technology by themselves are neutral; it is the way we use them that has either a positive or negative impact on our lives and environment. And when we use science in a manner that increases un-sustainability and unhappiness in our lives, how can we rely blindly on science for our happiness.
1. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer any four of the following questions in about 30-40 words each:
(i) How did the biosphere evolve over a period of time?
(ii) How has this equilibrium got disturbed now?
(iii) What is the difference between biosphere and technosphere?
(iv) Man needs to use ‘science and technology’ in a sensible manner. Explain.
(v) What kind of technology is good for human beings?
2. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer any four of the following:
(i) In para 1, the synonym of ‘psyche’ is………….
(a) mind (b) thinking
(c) inner-self (d) lower
(ii) Life on the earth is ………….by the evolution of the biosphere.
(a) lower (b) enhanced
(c) increased (d) removed
(iii) Several species are facing …………….. due to increasing pollution, over-exploitation of natural resources and greenhouse gas emission.
(a) taken away (b) broken
(c) removed (d) extinction
(iv) Meaning of the word ‘affinity’ in……………
(a) dislike (b) love
(c) bonding (d) natural liking
(v) According to the passage, new technology should be……………. for the betterment of human beings.
(a) meaningful (b) welfare
(c) meaningless (d) enhancement
1.(i) Biosphere was one that promoted, supported, nourished, sustained and enhanced the life. It accommodated a pleasant weather cycle and climate system to support newer species, keeping everything in dynamic equilibrium.
(ii) The biosphere is overburdened and ailing now. Ever increasing pollution I coupled over-exploitation of natural resources and greenhouse gas emission is driving several species towards extinction.
(iii) A technosphere is an impaired biosphere that has no affinity with values of life. It neither sustains the ability and evolution of life.
(iv) Science and technology by themselves are neutral. We should use science in a manner that increases sustainability and happiness in life.
(v) Technology should aim at the welfare of human beings. It may be like some that would enhance life, serve to integrate ecosystems and cleanse o environment. Certainly, such kind of technology is good for human beings.
2.(i) (b) thinking
(ii) (b) enhanced
(iii) (d) extinction
(iv) (c) bonding
(v) (a) meaningful