Reading Skills get sharpened by unseen passage reading comprehension test. We provide reading comprehension exercises with answers. Go through reading comprehension passages with multiple choice questions will help you in reading comprehension questions. We provide simple comprehension passages with questions and answers which have value based questions. These unseen comprehension passages are really helpful to all. Go through this reading comprehension pdf and reading passage worksheets to learn English.
Read the passages given below and answer the questions that follow them:
For millions of people in India, river Ganga is the most sacred river. It is considered as mother and goddess. It is also a lifeline to millions of Indians who live along its course and depend on it for their daily needs. River Ganga is the third largest river in the world by the amount of water that flows through it. It is the longest river in India. The river water of Ganga is used for irrigation, transportation and fishing. The Gangetic plain formed by river Ganga is one of the most fertile lands on earth. This is why almost 10% of the world population lives here and earns its livelihood. The Ganga, in India, is the most worshipped body of water. The irony here is that in spite of being the most worshipped river, it is also the dirtiest one. It carries some metals thrown out by tanneries, waste produced by industries and urban waste from different cities. All this has made the river Ganga the fifth most polluted river in the world. Another major reason that adds to the Ganga river pollution is the coal-based power plants on its banks which burn tons of coal every year and produce tons of fly ash. This ash mixed with domestic wastewater is released in the river. This bad situation calls for an urgent need to make efforts to reduce pollution and revive river Ganga. To achieve these objectives, the Government of India has started a programme named “NamamiGangeProgramme”. The main pillars of this programme are sewage treatment, river surface cleaning, afforestation, riverfront development and public awareness. The importance of the success of `NamamiGangeProgramme’ can be seen through the following lines:
“If Ganga dies, India dies. If Ganga thrives, India thrives. No Ganga, No India.”
Word-Meaning: Irrigation—supplying water to an area of land, Fertile—soil that plants grow well in, Irony—the amusing or strange aspect of a situation, Tanneries—places where animal skins are tanned, Thrives—becoming and continuing to be successful,
Attempt any eight of the following questions on the basis of the passage you have read.
1. For whom is river Ganga a lifeline?
2. For what purpose is the Ganga river water used?
3. Why does almost ten percent of the world population live in the Gangetic Plain?
4. What are the pollutants that make the river Ganga very dirty?
5. Flow do the coal-based power plants pollute river Ganga?
6. Which two purposes will be served by the programme named “NamamiGange”?
7. Write any two main pillars of the “NamamiGangeProgramme”.
8. Most people in India consider the Ganga as ………………………..
9. What is the irony of the Ganga is the most worshipped river?
1. River Ganga is the lifeline for millions of Indians who live along its course and depend on it for their daily needs.
2. The Ganga river water is used for irrigation, transportation and fishing.
3. Gangetic plain is one of the most fertile lands on earth where people earn their livelihood.
4. Heavy metals discharged from tanneries, effluents from industries and urban waste from different cities make river Ganga very dirty.
5. The plants burn coal produces fly ash which is mixed with the domestic wastewater which then is released into the river Ganga and pollutes it.
6. The programme “NamamiGange” will reduce pollution and revive the river, Ganga.
7. Sewage treatment/river surface cleaning/afforestation/riverfront development / public awareness (Any two)
8. Mother / Goddess / Mother and Goddess / most sacred river (Any One)
9. Inspite of being one of the most worshipped rivers, it is the dirtiest one.
More Comprehension Passages:-
This passage can be used as Marco polo biography which includes Marco polo adventuresand Marco polo discoveries. So read Marco Polo facts which come out of Marco polo journey and you will come to know what Marco polo discovered.
This friendship essay describes friendship meaning and can be used as friendship paragraph. Use it as a friendship day speech and procure friendship goals because there is a long friendship story which reminds friendship thoughts.
This true friend essay gives a true friend definition and tells what is true friendship. Read this friend essay and set up the definition of a true friendand have friendly thoughts in your mind.