Reading Skills get sharpened by unseen passage reading comprehension test. We provide reading comprehension exercises with answers. Go through reading comprehension passages with multiple choice questions will help you in reading comprehension questions. We provide simple comprehension passages with questions and answers which have value based questions. These unseen comprehension passages are really helpful to all. Go through this reading comprehension pdf and reading passage worksheets to learn English.
Attributes of a Human
Read the passages given below and answer the questions that follow them:
1. Have you ever failed at something so miserably that the thought of attempting to do it again was the last thing you wanted to do?
2. If your answer is yes, then you are “not a robot.” Unlike robots, we human beings have feelings, emotions, and dreams. We are all meant to grow and stretch despite our circumstances and our limitations. Flourishing and trying to make our dreams come true is great when life is going our way. But what happens when it’s not? What happens when you fail despite all of your hard work? Do you stay down and accept the defeat or do you get up again and again until you are satisfied? If you have a tendency to persevere and keep going then you have what experts call, grit.
3. Falling down or failing is one of the most agonizing, embarrassing, and scariest human experiences. But it is also one of the most educational, empowering, and essential parts of living a successful and fulfilling life. Did you know that perseverance (grit) is one of the seven qualities that have been described as the keys to personal success and betterment in society? The other six are curiosity, gratitude, optimism, self-control, social intelligence, and zest. Thomas Edison is a model for grit for trying 1,000 plus times to invent the light bulb. If you are reading this with the lights on in your room, you know well he succeeded. When asked why he kept going despite his hundreds of failures, he merely stated that what he had been not failures. They were hundreds of ways not to create a light bulb. This statement not only revealed his grit but also his optimism for looking at the bright side.
4. Grit can be learned to help you become more successful. One of the techniques that help is mindfulness. Mindfulness is a practice that helps the individual stay at the moment by bringing awareness of his or her experience without judgement. This practice has been used to quiet the noise of their fears and doubts. Through this simple practice of mindfulness, individuals have the ability to stop the self-sabotaging downward spiral of hopelessness, despair, and frustration.
5. What did you do to overcome the negative and self-sabotaging feelings of failure? Reflect on what you did, and try to use those same powerful resources to help you today.
Word-Meaning: Miserably— pitiably, deplorably, Flourishing—prospering, Tendency—inclination, Preserve- keep up, maintain, Agonizing—torturesome Embarrassing—awkward, Scariest—most horrible, Empowering—giving power, Fulfilling–causing to feel satisfied, Perseverance—persistence, Curiosity—strong desire to know something, Gratitude—thankfulness, Optimism—feeling positively, zest—interest, Grit—determination, Revealed–exposed, uncovered, Mindfulness—being conscious , Sabotaging—damaging deliberately, Frustration—disappointment, discontent, Overcome—get over, win over,
1. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer any four of the following questions in about 30-40 words each.
(i) According to the passage, what are the attributes of a human?
(ii) What is perceived as grit?
(iii) How is ‘failing’ an educational and empowering part of human life?
(iv) In what ways can grit be developed?
(v) How does mindfulness help?
2. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer any four of the following:
(i) While inventing the light bulb, Thomas Edison had failed ……………
(a) 1000 times (b) 10000 plus times (c) 1000 plus times (d) 10000 times
(ii) Failure is a part of life.
(a)normal (b) common (c) human (d) ordinary
(iii) In paragraph 2,………..means continue.
(a) robots (b) satisfied (c) persevere (d) flourishing
(iv) In paragraph 3, the synonym of distressing is ………….
(a) embarrassing (b) scariest (c) agonizing (d) failing
(v)…………..helps in preventing individuals from going down the lines of despair.
(a) success (b) fear (c) doubt (d) mindfulness
1.(i) According to the passage, grit, curiosity, gratitude, optimism, self-control, social intelligence and zest are the attributes of a human.
(ii) The tendency to persevere and keep going is perceived as grit.
(iii) Failing teaches us how to be perseverant and keep going for our goals. Each failure makes us understand what to do and what not.
(iv) Grit can be developed by not accepting defeat. Instead, we should make efforts to overcome our limitations, and not stay down.
(v) Mindfulness is a practice that helps the individual stay at the moment by bringing awareness of his or her experience without judgement. This practice is a technique that many have used to quiet the noise of their fears and doubts.
2. (i) (c) 1000 plus times
(ii) (c) human
(iii) (c) persevere
(iv) (c) agonizing
(v) (d) mindfulness
More Comprehension Passages:-
This scientists essayis all about scientists facts including scientists meaning. There are many scientists from India who made scientists inventions. These are inspiring scientists for kids. Find this scientists biography and read about scientists experiments to celebrate scientists day.
This passage is all about Indian Ocean facts which describe Indian Ocean trade also. Go through and gain knowledge
This trees essay is all about trees for life and trees uses. Trees topic is a widely read topic. You can inspire people through this trees speech for tree plantation. Take trees English challenge.
This education article gives education definition focusing on education for life. This education paragraph defines the education system in India. So this is the education system in India essay. Read this education essay and learn education meaning.
This television essay provides a nice television definition and gives real television meaning. This television paragraph also includes a little television history focusing on television invention. Find television disadvantages in this television writing. Salute to television inventor Philo Taylor Farnsworth.